Weekend Trivia: 10 Famous Black “Faculty Brats”
October 3rd, 2009 by Ajuan Mance
faculty brat: -noun. Slang. The child of a college professor. Similar to military brat. Also fac brat; fact brat.
- Awadagin Pratt, classical pianist (his mother, Mildred, is a professor emeritus of social work at Illinois State University where his father, Theodore, was professor of physics).
- Dave Chappelle, comedian (his father, William was a professor at Antioch college and his mother, Yvonne, was a professor at Howard University and the University of Maryland).
- Talib Kweli, rapper (his mother, Brenda Green, is a English Professor at Medgar Evers College, and his father is a sociology professor).
- Kanye West, rapper (his mother, Donda, was an English professor and the chairman of the English Department at Chicago State University).
- Kathleen Cleaver, law professor and former member of the Black Panther Party (her father was a sociology professor at Wiley College).
- Kerry Washington, actress (her mother is a professor and consultant).
- Phylicia Rashad and Debbie Allen (their mother, Vivian Ayers is an artist, poet, and playwright who has taught at the University of Houston).
- Jamaal Tatum, former NBA player for the Portland Trailblazers (his father is a professor of art at Lincoln University).
- Alex Haley, author of Roots (his father was a professor of agriculture at Cornell University).
- Maynard Jackson, first African American mayor of Atlanta, Georgia (his mother was a professor of French at Spelman College).
Posted by Ajuan Mance